Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Learn Something New Everyday

     If we don't learn something, then what are we doing? Everyday we have an opportunity to learn and then change. A favorite quote of mine from the movie Anne Of Green Gables says "tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it." This is always a good way to look at your life because when you live your life with that quote in mind you will strive for better.
     In our class we have been doing our lesson plans! I have enjoyed them thoroughly. It is great to see my peers as my teacher. The lessons I have seen thus far have great potential. During one of our peer's lesson we learned about high school math, and even though I haven't done math in years, I tried to pay attention and learn. And you know what?! I actually did learn some. The teacher really knew what she was talking about and did a good job of explaining it. We, her class, could tell that she was well prepared and organized. I really respect her for that. She is going to be a great teacher!
     I did my lesson on Monday and I think that I could have done better. I could have prepared my lesson better so that I could have hit on some important parts of why dance is important and how it is beneficial to them. In the future I will make sure to incorporate that into my lesson. However, in a positive light I feel that my lesson was a fun and different vibe than we are used to at 2 p.m. and it was fun to get up and move.
     As a class we also hit on the point of RELEVANCY which I find extremely important because even for me personally, I don't study or learn things that I don't think applies to me. I understand the importance of making it relevant for the students to be interested into my topic. For my topic to be relevant is easy because it is easy to make P.E fun! Us P.E. majors drew a picture of the "Pot Of Soup" game, which is a game that got the students involved in exercise but also taught them about protein, carbs, and fats. The game benefits their fitness but is also teaching them about health. Not only is it teaching health and fitness but it is incorporating the students spelling skills. This is a great idea and I will in the future incorporate games like this in my class room and may even use this specific game. This game is great for hitting the standards because it is using a loco motor skill and you can even have the students change loco motor skills as they run to the pot of soup, but they also are learning what they should eat for their health, and lastly there is a literacy skill in the lesson that has the students problem solving and spelling.

5 comments:

  1. Jenna,

    I really like the quote you used at the beginning of your blog. I think that will be a really good thing to keep in mind in the years to come, especially as a first year teacher. I have also enjoyed the lesson plans, its been cool to see how everyone has been taking what we are learning in class and making it their own and so far everyone has done great. I think you dance lesson was really good because like you said it was different and it pushed some people out of their comfort zone which is what learning and growing is supposed to do! I also liked how you were honest with yourself in your reflection of your teaching. It is good you can recognize these things and see how to always be improving.

    Stephanie Blackwell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna,
    First, I want to say a huge THANK YOU for being so encouraging when I taught my lesson. It was great to come back to table after I got super frazzled and have you be so uplifting by showing me your notes.
    It is extremely evident how passionate you are about PE. You have such an energetic personality and it comes across both in your lesson and your life. You radiate so much joy for being active. This joy was contagious in how you got a bunch of college students up and doing a line dance. I really like how your group talked about the "Pot of Soup" game. Sometimes, it's hard to see how PE can be tied to anything other than nutrition and the importance of staying active. This is a neat way of reinforcing what students are learning in other classrooms as well as keeping them engaged mentally and physically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quote was right on point and I thought your lesson was still good because you are going to have kids who don't want to participate, but you have to accommodate to their needs and interests. I also enjoyed talking about relevancy it opened my eyes on what I need to do as a teacher to draw interest from the students. You will still make a great PE teacher one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna,
    Thanks for a detailed blog. I really appreciate your discussion around relevancy. It is an impactful component for teaching and learning - especially for PE majors! How does this sync with the NCTCS? What are your plans for infusing relevancy into PE?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked your lesson. Syd did great too, I'm on the same page as you as far as not doing high school math in so long. But I enjoyed your lesson because we actually got t break a sweat and learn some new moves. You can make PE fun. It's already fun to me and I know it will be to young students. PE is relevant.

    ReplyDelete