Integrating of subject content is beneficial for student learning. When teachers mix in different ideas into their lesson plan it makes the student make connection to more than one subject and it will in the long run make more sense to the student and they will learn more. For example, say a reading teacher is teaching reading and she uses a book or article that is about what the students are learning in social studies then the students will understand their social studies class more and be reading or learning a type of literature.
There are four Cs that we use as teaching methods and they are creativity, collaboration, communication, and creative thinking. teachers should use all of these for student success. When students do all of these things not only are they learning content but social interaction, problem solving, and thinking outside the box.
The north Carolina standards call for integration and one way they do it is that every teacher has to teacher literacy in their subject. Even though I want to be a P.E. teacher, I still have to incorporate literacy into my games. Lately, I've been getting observation hours in at schools and these teachers actually do use literacy in their physical activity and I think that it is great and has been a great example for me to see literacy being incorporated into the P.E. classroom.
It's awesome that you are getting observation experience, especially since the teacher you are observing the teachers who are integrating things you may not be completely comfortable with yet.
ReplyDeleteJenna,
ReplyDeleteWhat are you thoughts for integrating the 4C's into PE? How would this look in your gym? What would be the impact of the 4C's on your instruction and students' learning?
I had never really thought about literacy in a PE classroom until this year when I went and observed at different schools and while taking this class. I always thought PE was just fun and games, but today we have integrate subjects so the kids can connect different ideas together while still having fun.
ReplyDelete