Wednesday, October 21, 2015

The Great Assessment Debate

     In my past experience of being assessed my teachers have mainly used the summative form of testing. Summative testing I just learned is the use of tests, finals, or EOGs. This is not the best approach because it is comparative to throwing a child into a pool without every swimming before but only watching someone else swim. So.. yes I am saying that teachers drown their students. I have been drowned multiple times and I am sure tons and tons of other students have been too. I am not a believer in the summative assessment use.
      Before taking this class I was unaware of the proactive form of assessment. Also known as the formative assessment. In Education 250 we do checkpoints, discussion, exit tickets, and blogs. When we use these formative assessments our teachers still figure out what we know and what we don't because it is extremely easy to let them know what we don't know in our personal blogs and in our informal class discussions. This method of assessment is a non stressful way for the students to let the teachers know what we know and have learned.
     When we assess students it should a teachers top priority to let their students know what they are doing well and what they can improve on. In class we qualified feedback as "does my feedback require my student to do something to continue/improve learning?" I think that feedback should be used all the time during regular class. Especially positive feedback, I think that encouraging students is such a great way to boost their leaning moral. When giving constructivism feedback it should be phrased in a way that student want to achieve it.
     In my future class I am going to give my students a flotation device until they are ready to swim without a life jacket.

6 comments:

  1. Jenna I 100 percent agree with you! Before education 250 I was unaware of the formative assessment. I wish my teachers in high school and even other professors in college used this assessment. This is so much more effective than the summative assessment. That was a great comparison you used about putting a child in the pool when they have never swam before is like what teachers do to us. It is not effective for the students or for the teachers to see what a student truly knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna,

    I'm so proud about your reflection. You told about all the formative assessments are Clarker using in this class, and the resume of what are you going to do in your class is a interesting point, don't stress students, asking ourselves for our feedback, engage students Ina positive way, there are many interesting things!

    Good job ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you totally because I had several teachers in high school and even in college that love you down with tests. I feel like I just memorize the information when I take tests and not actually learn the content. I feel like there are many other ways to learn content than just taking tests.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna, I love the swimming example you used to correlate between types of assessment! A student that doesn't understand the material because there teacher is unaware may feel like they are drowning during the summative assessment. Students sometimes are too timid to ask for help but it is our job to make sure we know exactly where each of our students are at on their growth track. Teachers can also encourage and support growth with their feedback like you said similar to giving the life jacket to keep aiming towards their goal of learning how to swim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenna,
    I really like the comparison of formative assessment to swimming! This is true - the teacher acts as the lifeguard to make sure everyone "stays afloat." I am glad you found this discussion beneficial!

    What connections did you make to your future classroom? How did the discussion on assessment help you in your understanding of the NCTCS?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you Jenna. I have drowned many times in school. I think it is common for all teachers to drown their students. Now that we know the difference we can use more formative in our classrooms. Since you will be a PE teacher summative will not be used as much but at least you know. Liked your post a lot.

    ReplyDelete