Thursday, October 15, 2015
Changing Our Minds
This week I had the pleasure of being able to shadow a elementary P.E. teacher. I really enjoyed the experience and am even more excited to begin being more involved in schools and P.E. classes. The teacher did an excellent job at everything. He held the classes respect and their attention. Not only were the kids having fun but they were learning all of the things that are stated in the NC standards. The kids were learning loco motor skills and what they are called. The teacher incorporated games that made the kids identify the name of the action while being able to do it and even switch actions quickly. I was very impressed with the teacher and I now have an understanding of how to incorporate standards but also incorporate literacy. For example,the teacher was using the children's vocab in class and asking them what it meant and how it related to what they were doing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Jeena!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad for your opportunity to be the shadow of a PE teacher ! I know how important it's for you.
I know you will be a great PE teacher just being you and the way you love PE, but always is important to be able to teach understanding the requirements you have as a professional. So I'm glad you were able to identify how to relate the NC standards with the things you want to do with children.
Jenna,
ReplyDeleteI completely agree after getting to observe that teacher as well. It was awesome to see someone that went to school at GWU and seeing him incorporate the things we are learning in our classes now, in the real world. It also helped me see how the standards go into what we teach and different ways to teach the kids the skills we are required too. Hopefully we will get to go observe together sometime!
Stephanie Blackwell
That sounds so exciting to do. After completing those observing days at the elementary, middle, and high schools I cant to be actually in a classroom myself. I am leaning more toward the high school setting, but all of it just seems so exciting to be apart of.
ReplyDeleteJenna,
ReplyDeleteWhy would you say the teacher did an excellent job? What specific things did they do to make the class effective for the students? I think the idea of how the teacher integrated vocab words is great! What impact did this have on your future classroom? How could you have made more intentional connections to the NCTCS?
I'm glad you got to experience something that you want to teach. And that he used standards shows that first of all you know your standards because you pointed them out and two that you know that they will actually be used. Good observations.
ReplyDelete